- Offley Specials
- Book Now
Welcome to Offley Place Hotel in Hertfordshire. Our Country House Hotel has been lovingly restored to honour and compliment the original Manor House.
Offley Place is a hotel situated near Hitchin in Hertfordshire. It has had it's interiors lovingly restored to honour and compliment the graceful architecture of the original manor house.
The Spencer restaurant at Offley Place in Hertfordshire is open every day for morning coffee, afternoon tea (14:30 - 17:00) and evening dinners (6.30 - 9.00pm).
Offley Place can accommodate any function of any size. We have a selection of venues as well as extensive grounds. Your wedding can be as small and intimate or large and extravagant.
As well as being the ideal venue to entertain friends and clients, the peace and tranquility of Offley Place, along with its ease of access, is the ideal venue for meetings and conferences.
Find out what our guests think about Offley Place Manor House, we have reviews on conferences, weddings and hotel breaks.
Click here to see Offley Specials, we regualy hold special offers on great occasions at our manor house.
Click here to see our friends and recommendations.
Click here to book your visit online, or check availability.
Contact us for further information on hotel stays, weddings, conferences and any other quiries you may have.
Offley Place has been of historic significance since the eighteenth century AD. Tradition has it that the Saxon King Offa of Mercia 757-796 built his palace here. We cannot be sure if Offa’s Palace existed on the site of the present Offley Place before 1600, as the Doomsday Survey shows that there were no less than four manor houses in Offley at the time of the Norman Conquest. However we do know that Offley Place, a 17th century manor house with its old walled garden set on the edge of a small deer park, has remained virtually unchanged for the last 250 years.
Soon after the Doomsday Survey it was passed to the St. Ledger family. The Manor was renamed Offley St. Ledger in 1553 by Henry VII who held courts at Offley. After a brief ownership by John Farmer it was sold in 1554 to Sir John Spencer of Althorp whose descendants owned the estate for several centuries.
Three hundred years of ownership of Offley Manor – albeit different names, was broken in 1929 when Guy Hughes moved into the Lawns House and the estate was sold to Colonel Acland who immediately set about making alterations to the house. The battlemented tower, the most outstanding feature of Offley place was demolished and the single story bay windows were replaced by others set flush with the walls.
The Acland family resided at Offley Place for 10 years in which time they became very involved in village affairs both spiritually and secular. However in 1939 the Frobel Institute rented the house and the estate, eventually buying it in 1943, and took pride in running residential courses on gardening and natural history.
Designed & managed by WebsiteNotWorking